Up until a decade ago, traditional DVDs and CDs were the commonly used devices to install the Windows operating system on a PC. Soon it gave way to various tools such as Rufus and Win USB Maker that could create bootable USBs, which could be used to install the operating system from a USB drive.
But what if you have the Windows 10ISO file but not a USB drive to create and install the operating system from it? Most of you are aware that you can flash stock ROM for android smartphone by downloading it on your PC, and then transfer it to your phone using USB.
But did you know that you can use your android phone to install an operating system on your PC by converting it into a bootable USB? Yes, you can! With the help of the Drivedroid app, bootable images of the Windows 10 operating system can very well be installed on a PC and then used for booting.
So, if you have the Drivedroid app and a rooted Android phone with plenty of storage space, you can use it to boot pretty much any kind of bootable ISO image, including Windows ISO images and Linux distributions on your PC. It is this ability of Drivedroid that makes it an excellent app to be used as a rescue disk whenever an emergency arises.
The process is very simple and takes only a few minutes. Let’s see how it’s done:
You’ll need to be ready for the following things before you proceed with installing Windows 10 from your Android phone:
• A rooted Android device
• Windows 10 ISO file
• At least 4.5GB of free space on your Android device
• A USB Cable
How to Use Drivedroid to Install Windows 10
• To use the Drivedroid app, you need first to install it on your android device. The app is available in Google Play Store. Just visit Google Play Store and search for “Drivedroid.”Once you find it, click the install option.
• After installing Drivedroid, configure the app with the help of the USB setup wizard. Tap “Setup” to start the process.
• Once the installation is complete, open the app and grant root permissions.
• Using a USB cable, connect your Android device to a PC. A list of USB systems will be displayed from which you need to choose one. Most Android devices are found to work with the USB system displayed at the top of the list.
• Next, open the file manager on your computer and see if your Android device is installed on a CD drive or USB drive. Now, you can close the USB setup wizard.
• If your device is not displayed, go back to the previous page and choose any of other USB systems from the list until your it shows up.
Creating a Bootable Windows 10 Image
Once the initial setup is complete, the next step is to create a bootable Windows 10 image on your Android device. Before proceeding with the following steps, make sure that your android device is connected to your PC.
• Download the latest Windows 10 ISO file and transfer it to the internal storage or SD Card of your device.
• Open the Drivedroid app and tap the “+” button located at the bottom of the screen.
• Select “Add image from file.”DriveDroid also offers a download images option, which allows you to download images of various operating systems on your android phone.
• Give a name to your image and select the path of the ISO file by tapping the magnifying glass icon. Next, save the file by clicking the checkmark found at the top.
• Now, select the file that has been newly-created and chooses a host image option. You may select the ‘Read-only USB’ or ‘CD-ROM’ option.
• The Windows 10 image should be installed now, and you’ll receive a notification on your phone, showing the success of the procedure.
• Reboot your computer, go to UEFI/BIOS settings, and boot from the Drive, where the Windows ISO file has been mounted. Make sure not to disconnect your Android from the PC during the installation process.
That’s just about it! With these few simple steps, you should now be able to boot Windows 10 normally.
Thanks to Drivedroid, you can now install Windows 10 operating system easily from your Android device without carrying around a bootable CD ROM or a USB drive. Exciting, isn’t it? Why don’t you give it a try and let us know your thoughts?