There are many methods of gear manufacturing. Hobbing is one of the gears cutting processes that use hobs to cut different types of gears. The hobbing machine is a special kind of milling machine with teeth used for cutting. Hobbing costs way less than any other cutting methods and so it is used widely in its field. With gear hob cutters, the hobbing process is made easier. With several methods for gear cutting, it becomes difficult to choose which one to prefer. Make sure you make the right choice in choosing the cutting process according to your needs.
Here are some of the advantages of the hobbing process over any other gear cutting process:
- Flexibility: The hobbing process gives us the advantage of the flexibility to deal with different types of gears. There are different hobbing machines for a different type of gears. With different machine for each type of gear, the accuracy of the gear produced is improved. Each gear type receives special treatment from its kind of machine. Hobbing machines can be customized to cut gears with different cutting angles. It is always good to have options available.
- Speed: As compared to other gear processing, gear hobbing is a fast and efficient way of cutting metal. The hobbing machine is fully automatic, thus it does not require an engineer or man work. Many gears with the same module are cut with similar cutter irrespective of several teeth on the gear. Another factor responsible for the high speed of gear hobs is its simple design. Multiple units of gears can be put into the machine for processing at the same time. This increases productivity to a great level.
- Precision: The hobbing process results in high-quality gears with high precision and accuracy. Put into right hands, the hobbing machine can produce wonderful results. One important fact to notice is that its high speed and productivity has not compromised the quality of the gears. The gears produced are of completely satisfactory.
- Application: The gear hobs have many applications. Hobbing process is not only used in gear cutting process but it is also applicable in automobiles, clocks and other equipment. Herringbone can only be generated by gear hobbing. If you have the required tools, almost all kinds of gears can be produced using hobbing. Many types of gears can be manufactured using the gear hobs like splines, helical gears and worm gears. The most common kind of gears manufactured by the gear hobs are spur gears.
- Economical: Gear Hobbing is an economical process and it provides various job types to people as it is versatile. Gear hobbing also increases productivity. It is not so costly and perfect for your hobbing requirements as best gears can be produced by not spending a fortune on the equipment.
Many manufacturers manufacture gear hobs. It is important to choose your manufacturer carefully as the quality of gear cutting is highly dependent on the hob. If you are looking for a tool that enhances the gear cutting process at your factory, go through the benefits of using a gear hob. It is one of the best tools that you can use for achieving best results.