Every webmaster inspite of his skills should expect an attack or a hacking anytime and our defense must be sufficient enough to recover from it. The main thing that we would loss from hacking will be the data of our blog/website. It is not just hacking that leads to loss of data, but also website downtime due to server unexpected crashes. Hence, each and every webmaster should make an effort to backup his blog/website. In this article we will see how to backup a WordPress blog to Dropbox using the WordPress plugin BackWPup. The plugin BackWPup is useful for saving your complete installation including /wp-content/ and to transferring them to an external backup service such as Dropbox, FTP, etc. So now let us go through the process.
Steps to Back-up a WordPress blog to Dropbox
- Firstly, you must install the BackWPup plugin and activate it. After activation you will see a BackWPup menu in the WordPress admin sidebar.
- From the BackWPup menu, choose Add New Job to configure a backup for your blog.
- In the General tab, enter a name for this task so that it will be easier for you to recognize the different backups.
- Now you can select the tasks that you want to perform from the Job Tasks section. The list of tasks included consist database backup, file backup, WordPress XML export, Installed plugins list, optimize database tables and check database tables. It is enough to check the first four options if your aim is just to create a backup of your blog.
- Then, you can choose an archive type in the Backup File Creation section. Be default, tar.gz will be the file type and you can change it to .zip if you wish.
- Next, it is the Job Destination section and it is the place where you can choose the destination of your backups.
- Since our aim is to backup a WordPress blog to Dropbox, you must tick the ‘Backup to Dropbox’ option.
- You can make use of the Schedule tab to timetable your backup process and you may program it monthly, weekly or daily basis by selecting the WordPress Cron option in the Start Job section.
- Now we will move to the DB Backup tab where we can select the tables to be included in the backup. If you are a newbie then it is better to check the entire options under the ‘Table to backup’ option so that you won’t miss any files.
- Now move on to the Files tab and you can select the directories and files you want to backup. It is better not to backup core WordPress files and is enough to backup only the wp-content/uploads folder. If you want you may also backup the themes folder.
- Next step is to backup a WordPress blog to Dropbox and for that you need to click on the ‘To: Dropbox’ tab.
- In the ‘To: Dropbox’ tab, click on the ‘Reauthenticate (full Dropbox)’ button and you will be taken to the Dropbox website where you will need to enter your login credentials. Then, Dropbox will seek your permission for granting access to BackWPup to your Dropbox account.
- The rest will be done by the plugin itself and you are done with the process. The first backup of your blog will be done automatically as per the scheduled date and it is recommended to check the Dropbox folder to see whether the files are there or not.
Therefore, I am concluding the short tutorial on how to backup a WordPress blog to Dropbox using the plugin BackWPup and I hope this will assist you in doing it right. It is always advisable to back up your WordPress blog/site on a daily basis and not simple rely on the back-up provided by your web host.