Windows 8.1 Preview, the prerelease version from Microsoft has been release on June 26th, 2013. It is designed considering all basic and important needs of Windows 8 customers. Developers of Windows 8 have primarily focused on enhancing the existing features of Windows 8 like personalization, search, Windows Store and apps etc. So in all it can be seen just as a customized Windows 8 OS with few differences. So for all those users who had missed this release in June we have come up with its installation guide through USB.
Prerequisite for installing Windows 8.1
- Processor : At least 1 GHz
- RAM : 1 GB (for 32-bit Windows 8.1) & 2 GB (for 64-bit Windows 8.1)
- Available hard disk space : 16 GB (32-bit) & 2 GB(64-bit)
Extra things needed
- Obviously a USB Drive
- Bootable Windows 8.1 Preview : You can download it from here.
How to install Windows 8.1 from USB
STEP 1 : Setting up a bootable USB drive with Windows 8.1
1. Users need to download a 3rd Party Tool to accomplish this task and they can do so using Rufus Software.
2. OK now connect USB drive using which you want to install Windows 8.1 on your system.
3. Perform a backup of all the data stored on USB drive prior to its formatting.
4. Get back to the location(Windows Drive or Folder) where you have downloaded Rufus Software and double click on it to launch it.
Note : Make sure to launch it as a Standalone Tool.
5. After launch you will get a Windows dialog box asking you with a “Do you want to allow Rufus to check application updates ?” message. It depends solely on you to select either “Yes” or “No” button to proceed ahead.
Recommendation : For faster installation it is recommended to choose “No” button.
6. Now you will get a Windows dialog box asking you to select a number of options. So select them from Drop Down menu as follows
- Device : Your USB Drive
- Partition scheme and target system type : GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer
- File System : FAT32
- Cluster size and New Volume label : Choose the size that suites your hardware configuration
- Under Format Options section : Just check Quick Format, Create a bootable disk using ISO image and Create extended label and icon files.
Here the user need to click CD/DVD drive icon after “Create a bootable disk using” option to select Windows 8.1 image.
Till here you have completed USB setup part. Now you just need to connect USB to the PC and reboot it after connecting.
Note : Make sure to choose “Enable boot from USB” under your BIOS settings for successfully booting through USB.
STEP 2 : Installing Windows 8.1 from USB
This step includes nothing but the usual Windows installation process that we all know. A user just need to follow on-screen instruction to complete installation procedure.
So this was all about installing Windows 8.1 from USB. I hope you all enjoyed it. In case if anyone gets any doubt in any step then let us know through comments we will be glad to help you.