Time is constantly changing, and so is technology. In the past few decades, drastic changes in this field have occurred. With regards to this, even the methods of making bill payments have changed over the years. Nowadays, while paying all bills, credit cards are widely used. However, one vital fact to always bear in mind is to clear all credit card dues in time. When the credit card statements get generated, banks will send you notifications to pay your bills. Now you have various convenient ways to pay these bills directly from your smart gadgets. Moreover, there are several advantages whenever you are paying bills online. Some of the benefits include cashback or other discounted offers.
Mobile wallets and payment systems have now begun offering credit card bill payment options on their platforms. Google Pay, Paytm, and PhonePe are some of the common mobile payment platforms, which provide online credit card bill payment facility with no separate registration. One has to just download the app, link them to your credit card or savings account, recharge your mobile wallet, enter the credit card details, and make the payment. In this blog, Fintra will highlight the most used online payment apps. The following topics will be highlighted:
- How to pay credit card bills through Google Pay
- How to pay credit card bills through Paytm
- How to pay credit card bills through PhonePe
- Other Online Payment Methods
How to pay credit card bills through Google Pay
Google Pay is one of the top apps available for bill payments in India. This app enables you to pay credit card bills, send and receive money, and you can make several other payments, too.
Here we have explained how to pay credit card bill through Google Pay:
- Open the Google Pay app installed on your mobile phone.
- Open the ‘New’ option.
- Next, select either of the two options, i.e., ‘UPI ID’ or ‘QR’ to make payment.
- If you have selected ‘UPI ID’, proceed to log in with your UPI credentials. For the latter, you need to scan the QR code to proceed.
- Next, enter your credit card number and confirm the information with OTP verification.
- Enter your bill amount to make the credit card payment through Google Pay.
- Submit the details to make a Credit Card payment.
Please note Google Pay only acts as a facilitator, the bill amount will be deducted from your main bank account which is linked with the app.
How to pay credit card bills through Paytm
Paytm is another popular mobile wallet app. This app enables you to make instant payments such as pay shopping bills, mobile recharge, electricity bills, and lots more. Along with these benefits, Paytm also provides the option of paying credit card bills in a very easy process.
Here we have explained how to pay credit card bill through Paytm:
- Open your Paytm app and tap on the credit card icon on the welcome page.
- Enter your credit card number. You can also choose from the saved cards. Select your bank in case it fails to auto-detect.
- Enter the amount to be paid. Click on the Proceed button to move to the next step.
- Confirm your payment and tick on the Paytm payment bank account.
- Enter your Paytm password and hit the Pay Now button.
Please note Paytm only acts as a facilitator, the bill amount will be deducted from your main bank account which is linked with the app.
How to pay credit card bills through PhonePe
Phonepe is also an app that provides various services like paying bills, send/receive money, recharge mobile, and various other services. Amongst the various popular apps, PhonePe is one of the prime UPI apps used in India.
Here we have explained how you can pay credit card bill effortlessly through PhonePe:
- Open your Phonepe account and click on the credit card icon under the Recharge & Pay Bills section.
- Choose your credit card provider (Visa, Mastercard, Rupay, etc). You can also select from saved cards if you have already added one.
- Carefully enter your credit card number and click on the Confirm button.
- Enter the amount you need to pay.
- Finally, click on the PAY BILL option to complete making your payment.
Please note PhonePe only acts as a facilitator, the bill amount will be deducted from your main bank account which is linked with the app.
Other Online Payment Methods
Since technology has evolved tremendously, remitting credit card bills via online banking and apps have been the most preferred method because it’s convenient and simple. Besides Google Pay, Paytm, and PhonePe, payments can also be made via internet banking through mobile banking, electronic bill payments, auto-debit, debit cards, national automated clearing house, RTGS, IMPS, and NEFT. All of these online payment options have their advantages. Fintra will now briefly describe how IMPS and NEFT function:
IMPS is a short form for the Immediate Payment Service. This is an internet banking payment system, which instantly transmits and receives funds among various banks and to individuals electronically. It’s 24/7 service offered throughout the year, even on bank holidays, unlike other options. It’s one of the popular internet banking payment methods for making credit card bill payment and can be accessed through mobiles, Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), online banking or internet banking, bank branches, and SMS. There’s 100% assurance of safety while making credit card payments, and economical as well. Before becoming a partner banker in this system, the financial institutions must obtain a legal banking license from the Reserve Bank of India.
Pondering why make payments through IMPS? Here are the reasons:
- Instantly make payments, and your biller’s accounts will immediately get credited.
- Access this facility anytime, anywhere, around the globe.
- Payment charges aren’t expensive.
- Payments are processed faster and reliable.
- IMPS system is customer-friendly and convenient.
Here are the steps to make credit card bills through IMPS:
- Download the mobile application of your bank.
- After downloading the mobile application, log-in to mobile banking using your credentials.
- Click on ‘Bank Account’, and then you’ll be provided with a link for the IMPS payment option.
- Click on ‘IMPS’ and choose the ‘Merchant Payment’ button.
- Fill-in the necessary financial details such as MMID, the contact number of billers, along with your bank account from which funds will get transferred, the billing amount, and your credit card number.
- Lastly, hit on the ‘Confirm’ button. The transaction has been successful!
You can also make credit card payments using just the IFSC Code:
- Log-in to your net banking using your credentials.
- Click on the ‘Payment and Transfer’ button.
- Choose ‘Payee’ and ‘IMPS-IFSC’. Please note that you can choose payees from the list of itemized
- Fill in the required details such as the billing amount to the credit card, the credit card number, etc.
The top five banks that offer IMPS Payment facility:
- State Bank of India
- Axis Bank
- ICICI Bank
- HDFC Bank
National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) is another internet banking payment option for making credit card bill payments. The NEFT facility enables you to transfer funds from your savings account to the credit card account online. This facility is India’s widely remittance service, which allows you to make the payment of credit card bills electronically amongst member financial institutions. When the cardholder initiates its credit card payment, it will be processed batch-wise under the NEFT internet banking payment system. Like IMPS, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) administers the NEFT payment system.
Pondering why make payments through NEFT? The reasons are as follows:
- Like IMPS, NEFT is effective and unswerving.
- Payment charges are lesser than pay orders or sometimes demand drafts (DDs).
- Be it in any circumstance, you can cancel the transactions done through NEFT.
- Within one business day, payments can be made for the commencement of payment transactions.
- NEFT is a paperless internet banking payment method along with being convenient for the users.
Fintra below describes the procedure of how to make credit card bills through NEFT:
- The NEFT facility is available only to the customers who have registered for the internet banking service. Thus, you’ve to register to avail of this facility.
- You can develop a list of credit card billers, and choose multiple billers.
- After creating the list of billers, choose the bank, the division of the bank, the city, and the IFSC code.
- Fill in your credit card number with the billing amount. The transaction has been successful!
- It just takes one working day to process the credit card payment.
Before initiating NEFT funds transfer to your card, make sure to add it, towards which you’re making the payment, as a ‘Biller or Beneficiary’. To add a credit card as a beneficiary, specific details are required, such as the credit card number, cardholder name, IFSC code for credit card payments, bank name, branch, address, etc. Based on your bank, when you add a new card, it will probably take 30 minutes to 24 hours. Only when the card has been added, you can initiate the NEFT funds transfer.
The top five banks that offer NEFT Payment facility:
- State Bank of India
- Axis Bank
- ICICI Bank
- HDFC Bank
How to make credit card bills online through BillDesk
BillDesk is also an online payment platform allowing you to make credit card bill payments without possessing any online account. It offers simple, convenient services for bill payments without having a net banking facility. BillDesk platform may vary from bank to bank, and each bank will provide different payment options.
How to make credit card bill payments online through Auto Debit Facility
In Auto Debit Facility, the processing time for credit card payment occurs on the due date. You can register for this facility if you have a net banking account for the savings account, and be rest assured the credit card dues will be made in time. You can give standing instructions to your bank to debit your credit card bill on the same day every month.
You can also choose to either pay the minimum amount due or the entire amount due. To register for this facility, you can do it through a net banking account or by sending a written request to your bank. Once the registration has been done, the auto-debit facility will get active from the immediate credit card payment due date.
How to make credit card bills online through CRED
CRED is another platform for making credit card payments online. However, this is a members-only club, and while making timely bill payments, it’ll reward you with exclusive offers and access to some premium experiences. CRED is one of the platforms where you can manage various cards along with receiving an analysis of your credit score. Eligible members who have high credit scores will obtain exclusive rewards upon making their bill payments through the app. For the users who make credit card payments through the app, rewards like access to events, experiences, gift cards, and upgrades from brands like Myntra, Cure.Fit, Diesel, Olive Bar & Kitchen, and many more are in store.
CRED enables credit card bill payments only for American Express, Standard Chartered, Citibank, HSBC, HDFC, ICICI, SBI, AXIS, Kotak, RBL, PNB, and other few top Indian Banks. They also support, VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Rupay cards. To apply for CRED membership, since this platform is only for a selected few, you have to first sign up with your full name and valid Indian mobile number on the app. Once the credit bureaus like CIBIL and Experian have checked your credit scores which should be above the accepted eligibility score, you’ll finally get accepted as a CRED member.
There are various benefits of making credit card payments online. It saves time and effort, provides convenience, comfort, transactions are done safely in a secured way, records are maintained for all transactions, and you gain more control on the amount of how much to pay the dues. Finally, paying online is eco-friendly because it saves paper, cheques, envelopes, stamps, and receipts. It eliminates clutter, too, when you electronically receive your statements and receipts.