Earthing is the most important component of the electrical system. It helps to prevent any fatal accident from happening. It makes sure that there are no chances of an accident. Earthing protection system protects not only human life but also make sure that electronic gadgets are safe and free from electrical shocks. Earthing is necessary as it makes sure that people are safe from all electric shocks, there are no damages to appliances through the excessive discharge of electrical current and also reduces the chances of risk that might be caused by leakages. But what exactly is earthing?
Earthing is the component of the electrical system that is used to release an excess amount of current into the ground. It, therefore, provides the passage through which electrical charge can be released into the ground for the safety of human and electrical gadgets. The main purpose of the earthing system is to regulate the conductor with regard to the earth’s conducting surface. In case of any short circuit or any leakage because of any reason, it makes sure that excessive discharge of electrical is released into the ground so that no one can harm, and this process takes without many complications. It is because of the earthing system that there is a balance between current and voltage. It is because of this reason that electrical earthing is used in almost every electrical earthing. The current under the electrical earthing system is discharged through the wires or cables with low resistance. Electrical earthing is mainly done with the help of the following types:
- Neutral Earthing: Under neutral earthing, the neutral of the system is connected to earth through GI wires. The neutral system is mostly provided to the system with star winding, such as a generator, transformers, etc.
- Equipment Earthing: Equipment earthing is provided in case of electrical equipment to release the excessive electrical discharge. Under this, the metallic part or the non-current carrying part of the equipment is connected to the earth.
One can choose any of the above earthing requirements that best fit their needs. But it is important for everyone to get the earthing done; otherwise, there will be no protection from electrical surges. They are necessary, and in no case, one must ignore it. However, there are certain factors that one must keep in mind before installing the earthing system in order to make sure that every person and electronic gadgets are safe and secure.
The soil kind is a very important factor to be considered as earthing efficiency, and efficiency is very much dependent on it. The earth’s resistance, moisture level, salt level plays are a very important role in the earthing system. The soil composition is another factor that needs to be taken care of. There is a difference in which different soil will be treated for earthing to function properly. Besides these, the location of the earth pit also impacts the earthing as it will determine where the installation will take place. Hence these factors must be taken into consideration and properly analyzed so that there are no hindrances in the installations of the earthing system.
Earthing is one of the essential activities that need to be undertaken. Still, there are certain doubts in the mind of people. To clear these doubts, the following are some of the points that make it clear its importance. These are:
- Reduces the risk of electric shock: with the installations of an electrical earthing system, the changes in electric shock reduce drastically. In fact, it is the main purpose of the earthing system. Any faulty current or leakage can cause the electric shock on the exposed conductors’ surface. Through earthing solutions, a low resistance path is provided through wires that discharge the electric current to the ground. This will make sure that there is no possibility of a fatal accident. Hence it is important to install an earthing system as in case of any leakage of electric charge; it will be shifted to the ground and not to the human body or electric appliances.
- Stabilization of Voltage: The earthing system is known to stabilize the voltage. It acts as a balance point. This is possible through multiple sources, which is common that acts as a reference point. When the neutral point is connected to the earth, it balances the voltage.
- Helps in avoiding surges: Excessive surges are very common that can take place in your electrical system. Surges could also be because of the lighting. These surges have the ability to cause irreparable damage to electrical appliances and even to human life. This thus makes the installation of the earthing system more important as one cannot predict these surges, so it is better that one is prepared in advance.
- Proper Functioning of Equipment: Electrical equipments are very costly. One invests a good amount of money in these. So it only makes sense that proper care must be taken. For this purpose, the installation of an electrical earthing system is necessary. This is because, in case of sudden surges can damage this equipment permanently, thus leading to wastage of money. The Earthing system will thus ensure that your electrical works in better condition and for a longer duration.
- Eliminating static Charge: Earthing system has the power to remove all kind of static charge that gets builds up in the conductors.
- Act as a Conductor: The whole of the Earthing system act as a conductor. In an earlier time, the terminal that was connected from the load center to generation plant is known as positive terminal. In case of negative terminal both the load center and generation plant is connected to the earth. Hence here earthing system act as negative conductor.
- Eliminate the risk of fire: Earthing systems also provides the protection against the fire that might be because of lighting or any leakage of faulty current. This thus eliminates the risk of fire and thus one can be sure of safety.
- Other benefits: Besides these, earthing system has various other benefits to offer. It is highly capable of detecting any fault in electric system so that proper cautious is practiced. It also helps to pass the overcharge that is produced suddenly because of the lightning.
Hence we can conclude that earthing system is very essential to protect the electrical equipment. So everyone one must install them.