Opening and closing checklists are nothing but the tasks that need to be performed at the opening and closing of the restaurant. Many people do not really know how important it is to maintain a checklist. They think of it merely a formality and do not take seriously and because of which many restaurants are not able to keep it with the demand as nothing is organized. Sometimes it can also lead to closing up of the restaurant. So it is important to take care of these checklists. It will provide the restaurant with the mechanism to carry out its operations in a smooth manner. There will be no confusion about the tasks to be performed.
There is a number of tasks that need to be performed in a restaurant. If not organized properly, it will only create confusion and chaos. Maintaining and implementing of checklist ensures that your restaurant is in order and everyone is working in the right direction as per requirement. Also, there is no need to put in a lot of resources while creating these lists as they are easy and cheap to create. In fact, it helps to reduce cost and time by making sure everything happens in an orderly manner. The checklists that are to be created for the opening and closing of the restaurant are divided into three categories for each of them. These include.
- Front of the house: In case of daily restaurant opening checklist, the tasks involves in the front of the house, make sure that the restaurant is cleaned, properly organized and is stocked up. It includes wiping the stuff, properly organize the seating area, clean the windows and doors etc. And in case of the closing checklist, it involves wiping the restaurant, restocking the inventory, properly lock all doors and windows, count cash and properly maintain the cash register etc.
- Back of the house: Under opening checklist, back of the house tasks involves wiping the food preparation surfaces, chopping ingredients, keeping tool at the work station, making sure incoming inventory is stocked up etc. In the case of the closing checklist, tasks include cleaning the dishes, taking out of trash, making sure the fridge is properly closed etc.
- Management: Opening checklist under this involves conducting staff meeting, reviewing the menu, explaining special items etc. whereas closing checklist includes taking notes of staff performance, tidying up the workplace, log off computers etc.
All the important tasks that need to perform are included in these lists. Almost all the tasks that need to be performed are covered under this. The management and the employee’s concern must know which tasks fall into which category. It is important to understand how the task opening and closing checklist are created to ease the operations. For creating the daily restaurant opening checklist and closing checklist following steps needs to follow:
- Determine what task needs to be performed: It is important to pre-plan about the tasks that need to be performed. Managers and owners must discuss to arrive at the checklist.
- Organize: After deciding what tasks to need to be performed, the next step is to organize them in proper sequence so that everything takes place seamlessly. It is important to be aware of which tasks need to be performed first in order to avoid any chaos.
- Post it: After the task has been identified and organized in a proper manner, the last step is to finally make it available to the people who are required to complete them. It is important to post the list in order to complete it.
If everything is done in a systematic manner, there will be no confusion. But implementing them is a big task. There are certain tips that one must keep in mind before implementing the opening and closing checklist. These tips are mentioned below:
- It is important to brainstorm to get the tasks that need to be completed. Consult management to jot the important tasks that need to be performed.
- On the basis of the tasks identified next step is to create the list and maintain checkbox against each task so that there is no confusion whether the tasks have been performed or not.
- It is important that everyone concerned with the task is provided with the checklist. Everyone must know what is expected to do so that everything takes place seamlessly.
These tips will surely make your work easier. There are still many doubts about the importance of opening and daily restaurant closing checklist. To clear all the doubts at once, their importance is explained as below:
- The checklist provides a reminder about the tasks that need to be performed. These are basic tasks, but their timely completion is necessary for the smooth working of the restaurant. If any of the checklist tasks are not performed, it will lead to delay in the work. All the employees are well aware what is expected them to do and they perform it without any fail.
- Opening and closing checklist ensures accountability. This because everyone knows what tasks is to be performed and who is responsible. So in case something goes wrong, it will be easier to know who is responsible. No one can play the blame game; in fact everyone will perform their duty correctly to avoid accountability.
- One way or other, opening and closing checklist helps to reduce cost. In checklist basic tasks are covered such as switching off lights, appliances etc. which usually used to go unnoticed. In this way making them the part of checklist task, the utility cost reduces. Hence it is cost effective.
- Checklist also ensures security of the restaurant as all the locks, doors; windows are properly checked under this every day. Thus leading to increased security. When checklist tasks are performed with proper care then nothing can go wrong in relation to security.
Hence we can conclude that preparing and implementing opening and closing checklist are very essential in order to run the restaurant in proper manner. Without these, everyone will keep on doing tasks as per their pace and might also forget sometime which will create disturbances. So it is essential to have checklist and make sure everyone is aware of it, then only it will serve the purpose.